Thursday, September 16, 2010

Men At Work

Like it or not, the way you look has an effect on your life. Some people choose not to accept this fact, but that doesn't make it less of a reality. We all interact with other people, and particularly the first time you interact with someone, they make assumptions and judgments about you based on what you look like. Sometimes these assumptions work in your favor. And as Ines Sainz recently found out, sometimes these assumptions work against you. Or do they?

If you haven't heard, recently Ines Sainz, a Mexican reporter with TV Azteca claimed to be sexually harassed in the New York Jets locker room as she waited to interview Jets QB Mark Sanchez. Sainz was reportedly harassed by players AND coaches, as players intentionally threw footballs in her direction so that they may get a closer look, and perhaps flirt, as they retrieved the ball. She also claimed that they cat-called at her in the locker room. Now, while I don't doubt the validity of her claims, and I don't want to minimize her feelings about it all, I think this deserves a look from both sides.

Here's the thing…and this is going to sound really basic: A men's locker room is NO PLACE for a woman. Especially a woman dressed like this:



I played sports growing up. Even in high school, the climate in the locker room was very masculine and very macho. Guys talk sh*t about each other, girlfriends, coaches…and no one and nothing is off limits. Everyone is a target of some form of ridicule or another. And such a climate is NOT very gal friendly. I'm not saying that it's an anti-women climate, but I am saying that most of the guys aren't going to change their behavior to suite a lady that just so happens to be present on THEIR turf (pun). I can only imagine how much that sentiment is extrapolated in the men's locker room of a professional sport where the players are bigger, bolder, well paid and have their pick of groupies.

I know what you're thinking: "But how is that fair, Goodnight? If women aren't allowed in the locker room, the only male reporters would get the immediate interviews." Well, then maybe that's how it needs to be. Maybe non-staff members shouldn't be allowed in the locker room. OR….OR…maybe if you're a woman and you'll be interviewing players in an NFL locker room, you shouldn't be dressed like this…



…if you don't want the players to react like a video vixen is on the scene.

I mean c'mon…even some of you girls reading this right now want to squeeze that ass. Admit it.

Anyway, the bigger issue I want to address has more to do with women in less extreme scenarios. As any attractive woman will tell you (if she's willing to be honest, that is), there are ways to allow your physical beauty to work for you. Whether it's a fitting blouse or a skirt that shows just enough leg, it probably gets a woman some consideration that she otherwise would not have gotten. And I'm ok with that. There are many double standards out there, and a lot of them work against women. So if there is an opportunity for a woman to take advantage of a double standard that DOES work in her favor, by all means, she should take advantage.

But I gotta say…If you're willing to benefit from your looks, are you a hypocrite if you can't accept it when your looks work against you? Can you, on one hand, justify accepting the fact the combination of your sexy-ass dress and your curvy body gets you in the club free AND men buying you drinks all night, but on the other hand, reject the idea that a man can whistles at you and make a few comments about how good he thinks you look? If you accept the fact that certain attire will get you attention in some venues, shouldn't you also accept that the same attire will cause some to not take you seriously? And again, I'm saying "accept", not to be confused with "like".

This issue is a tough one because it's gridlocked in the old question of when my right to say infringes on your right to not have to hear what I say. I certainly don't believe that a woman should have to dress conservatively. Besides, that wouldn't stop men from "noticing" her. I also don't think that a man should be able to say any old sh*t to a woman. But there does have to be balance, and both sides have to be aware of one another…especially in certain venues.

So let me ask you: What do you think of this whole Ines Sainz situation? What do you think about women reporters being in the locker room period? And most importantly, what do you think about finding a balance between the positives and negatives of physical attraction?...whether someone is using their looks for good or naughty naughty evil?

4 comments:

  1. I only read here & there about this story in the news, but she wasn't the one who brought up the allegations. I thought it was her coworkers who informed her (and the team coach). In the few articles I saw, she didn't seem too fazed by it. I think she's well aware of the environment she's in and what can happen. It didn't seem like the light comments bothered her.

    But in reference to your post, I think that you should expect some level of respect no matter what. Lol, I know you're rolling your eyes and I know that they're big, bad, ball players but that doesn't mean that they should be allowed to say and do anything they please. A locker room isn't a no-holds barred arena.

    And finally, yeah, I probably would squeeze her butt. But in my defense, it looks like a fluffy roll of toilet paper right there, dude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She didn't seem terribly upset...no. However, she tweeted about it and at the very least, seemed embarrassed and uncomfortable when speaking of it in interviews.

    That's the thing though, Brit. A mens locker room IS generally a no-holds barred arena. Hell, at my High School, the locker room was the ONLY place to boys could get into a fight and nobody would get suspended. Most guys who've played a sport in high school or college will likely agree with me. The type of talk that goes on in the locker room is quite grimy. Even still though, the comments were not too offensive (from what I've read).

    This makes me think of a conversation my boy and I had a while back about how it's becoming less and less acceptable for a man to just be a man and talk man sh!t...even on his own "turf". If a man doesn't tailor every word that comes out of his mouth to be p.c. and/or chick-friendly, people think he's a savage. I can elaborate if you'd like. Don't get me wrong. I should be expected to be p.c. in my speech when I'm out around women or in an arena that doesn't have a boys club atmosphere. But damn, can I talk straight at the barbershop, the locker room, and the sports bar?

    How did I know you'd be the first chick to sign on to squeezing that ass, Brit? I respect it. It absolutely screams "Squeeze me!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's kind of a tricky situation. I mean any woman in that situation should completely be aware of what's she's stepping into and how men behave in there. I'm not justifying their behavior and it's obviously an uncomfortable situation but it kind of comes with the territory. You have to be prepared for that on some level. The bigger question here is did you get the interview?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it's a tough call. But I agree with you when you imply that what really matters is whether or not the job gets done.

    ReplyDelete