Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Real Reality TV



Reality TV sucks, especially the more recent trend that particular brand of television entertainment has taken. I despise it. I think it's the worst thing that has happened to television in the past 20 years, bar none. It's become so absurd and self-fulfilling that it eats…well, itself. Think about VH1's Surreal Life of Strange Flava of I Love New York's Real Chance at Charm School Academy…Rock. You get my point. It's smut. And that's just one TV network. I haven't even mentioned the Real Housewives of wherever-the-f*ck, and all of those God-awful "competition" based shows such as America's Next Top Bulimic Coke-head Model, The Biggest Loser, and American Idol. Although I'll admit that I respect those shows a bit more than the outright smut that VH1 airs. And lest we not forget the latest monstrosity that MTV has produced: The Jersey Shore.

This brand of TV will be the death of well-written shows that actually require a plot. More written shows are going off of the air, and timeslots are filled with reality TV. Really, I don't blame the networks (from a business perspective, at least). There's a demand for crap-TV. Why wouldn't they provide it and profit? I do blame the audiences to some degree. My reasoning for this is that the same people that watch this trash will also complain about the overall stupidity of our society, a stupidity that some of these shows surely contribute to, if only by glamorizing it. Think about it. What did you learn from watching written TV shows (be it an hour long drama, or a 30 minute sitcom) when you were growing up? How much did you learn about law, medicine, forensics, psychology, life etc. from watching The Practice, Law & Order, ER, New York Undercover, The Cosby Show, Family Ties, A Different World, Facts of Life, and even Martin etc?

One might read this and say that my opinion is a matter of taste. But I believe it more to be a matter of quality. I'm more disappointed than anything. And I'm particular disappointed in the show that fathered this genre: The Real World®.

MTV blew a golden opportunity to serve society and bridge many-a-gap between cultures, in my opinion. The Real World started out in 1992, in New York City, a city known for its cultural diversity, and heralded as the melting pot of the U.S. It was a social experiment…a study. The objective was to observe and analyze what happens when you put 7 strangers (from different backgrounds, cities, and cultures) in the same living quarters and force them to not only live together, but to also work together. And the experiment was filmed for the viewer to see. It was a brilliant concept…not only for its premise, but also from a business and marketing perspective. You could not watch just one episode of the show without getting hooked. You were sucked in as the cast struggled to overcome obstacles such as religion, addiction, sexuality, politics, love, and prejudice to name a few. They all had to compromise with at least one other cast member, as each of them had ideals that they rigidly supported. And as the viewer, you learned from that dynamic. You learned about the cast, people in general, and yourself.

Obviously, it was a hit.

MTV continued this trend for the next few seasons, selecting interesting combinations of cast members from diverse backgrounds and displaying more personal issues (abortion, rape etc). Eventually and unfortunately, MTV abandoned the social study aspect of the show for the more dramatic happenings (such as Tami Roman's skank ass overreacted to David playfully pulling a blanket off of her on The Real World: Los Angeles). They started choosing essentially the same type of cast members for each city/season: a homosexual/bisexual, a slut, a virgin, a bigot, a jock, a drunk/addict, a victim of abuse, and an eccentric (or some combination thereof). And in my opinion, throughout the years, these types have only gotten more extreme. It is here where I think MTV squandered an opportunity.

Think of the good MTV could have done for race/culture/gender communications with The Real World if they had continued to cast diverse groups, exploring cultural niches that had yet to be tapped. From the show's birth in 1992 to present 2010, this country has become more and more diverse. The Real World could have explored African American culture beyond the typical people that are generally cast. They could have cast a 1st generation U.S.-born Indian or Asian, people with true passion for particular careers such as journalism, photography, or teaching (as opposed to music). They could have cast someone with strong blood-line political ties…a Kennedy or a Bush, perhaps. And yes, they did attempt some of these…but it was very sporadic. And I also noticed that there was rarely more than 1 college student or college graduate per season.

What's my point here? I guess my point is that there should be more to a TV show than how much drama (false or real) can be generated by the cast. TV networks are quick to sell their credibility for ratings. And we (the viewers) are quick to buy in. MTV (aka MUSIC Television) hardly shows any music videos now. The bulk of their programming consists of reality TV. And while some of it is…well-intentioned, the bulk of it is simply feeding trash to anyone who will eat it. Many of us constantly gripe about the lack of social sophistication we encounter daily. We are amazed and disappointed by the oblivious, zombie-like state that most of our youths seem to be in today. But we need only look at our TVs to find the starting point of this mindlessness.

Should all TV be "challenging" and mentally stimulating? Of course not. But damn, 'The Situation' (of Jersey Shore fame) is slated to make more than $5 Million this year, yet they're closing a gang of schools in the city I live in (and probably yours too). Where's the f*ckin' balance?



What do y'all think about reality TV in general? How do you feel about The Real World® 1992 vs the show now?

Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Well anyone that knows me knows that I love Reality television. I have my shows that are just absolutely entertaining to me and then there are others that I just can not bring myself to watch. I don't mind watching some mindless television every now and then because sometimes you just want tv to entertain you not to make you think.

    As far as the Real World is concerned I completely agree with you. The quality of that show has declined immensely and doesn't have the impact that the show could have. It is very heavy in type casting and now they don't even require the roommates to work together. It's really quite sad. That is one show that I would probably enjoy a whole lot more if they did cast different types of people and really focused on the social aspect more as opposed to trying to cast the most outrageous types of a certain personality so that they can generate more ratings. The casts have become progressively less and less interesting. I mean how many times can you watch the "same" people hook up with one another, lol!? It doesn't even matter where they are located because they do the same thing and don't really take advantage of the locations. MTV used to take time with the Real World...the casts would live together for 6 months, it slowly decreased to 4 months, then 3, and I'm not sure if it's even that long...all of this is just so they can crank out more episodes. The Real World is the staple of Reality Tv because it was the very first show of its kind and I wish they would do better by it but it's about numbers,lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I LOVE reality TV! ESPECIALLY VH1 and MTV! This reality TV thing is not new though, it has been going on for decades. Candid Camera, Americas Funniest Home Videos, The Peoples Court, these have always been around. I think its as American as apple pie to turn on the TV and see whats going on in peoples lives. Nowadays, the formula is to just put people in a stressful "situation" and see what happens.

    I dont think reality TV is the downfall of our kids and society anymore than Rap is. I think "Art imitates Life", and there are alot of dumb people out there for us to laugh at! So I laugh at them all! Jersey Shore, RealChance at love, Ray J's show, all of it! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Birdie: I know you like that trash! lol Yes, the real world has certainly taken a turn for the worse. Networks act as if they can't have both good entertainment AND high ratings.

    @Kwad: I don't particularly consider Candid Camera and Americas Funniest Home Videos etc reality TV, though I understand why people do consider it that. The Real World (and the first Survivor, Big Brother, Road Rules, The Mole etc) is the kind of show I'm referring to.

    Also, I wasn't saying that it's the downfall of our kids, I said it's a good starting point for the brainless culture. But that's coming from someone who sees the 'art imitates life imitates art' thing as a revolving door.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't watch reality tv anymore. It started insulting my intelligence. Why would I want to watch several strangers get together and have more drama generated amongst themselves than our own government officials with their undercover lifestyles.

    I agree with you on this. MTV who used to be known for music, now has a new name: Massive Trashivision. There is nothing about it to generate any positive feelings. When you have a platform of this magnitude, you should be using it wisely or even just use it as a way to educate the masses but their focus has become a competition of who can fry the most brains...

    Pathetic.

    ReplyDelete